Established 1881, Hwy 52
Established at the end of Reconstruction by land agent Bruno Gernt in 1881, Allardt was envisoned as a German colony for the "New South." Several buildings associated with the community's settlement and development are listed in the National Register.
Amonett House (Pickett) Thought to be the oldest dwelling in Pickett County still standing. Was built by an ancestor John Dillon around 1830. First land that was to be the Pickett County seat was donated by the family but civil boundaries deemed that the Courthouse be placed at the present location. The Amonett Family is working with the Pickett County Civil War Heritage Commission to restore the home and make it available to the public as an interpretive exhibit on the people, events and places of local interest that occurred during the era of the Civil War.
Beaty, "Tinker" Dave (Fentress) Gathered together Union sympathizers in answer to the Confederate home guard. Beaty was known for his cunning. Beaty reluctant at first to take sides, did so only after Confederate guerrillas came to his farm and rode off with some of his supplies. He choose to take sides then against them. His band cut back and forth competing against Confederate guerrillas for food and supplies. One of his Confederate rivals was Champ Ferguson who awed John Hunt Morgan's troops with his reputation for mayhem and revenge.
Big South Fork National River and Recreational Area 100,000 acres of prime wilderness country. The free flowing Big South Fork of the Cumberland River pass through ninety miles of scenic gorges and valleys containing a wide range of natural and historic features. Broad range of recreational opportunities including: campings, whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, hunting and fishing. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was responsible for land acquistion, planning and development of facilities. The land and facilities are now operated and maintained by the National Park Service.
Camp McGinnis (Pickett) Located near the Three Forks of the Wolf River. Was a Confederate base of operations for raids into nearby Clinton and Wayne counties of Kentucky. Several of the McGinnis family were known as scouts for Champ Ferguson.
Camp Meeting at Chanute (Pickett) Meeting attended by Champ Ferguson. Ferguson was involved in a livestock transaction with the Evans Brothers. The Evans Brothers brought along Deputy Sheriff James Reed who attempted to arrest Ferguson. In the fight, Ferguson killed Reed and severly injured Floyd Evans. Ferguson was arrested and taken to the Jamestown jail. Ferguson agreed to join the Confederacy and in return the charges were dropped.
Camp Meyers (Overton) Named in honor of Calvin Meyers. Meyers was a veteran of the Mexican War and served as a Captain in the Civil War. The camp served as Confederate camp of instruction where the 25th and 28th infantries and others trained for battle. The camp was the first stop after leaving the recruiting or gathering site of Camp Zollicoffer. Soldiers would drill and train in the manual of arms, regimental drill and parade.
Camp Zollicoffer (Overton) Named after the Whig legislator and editor Felix K. Zollicoffer. The Confederate government wanted the war to be more of a unified movement so they elevated a Whig who would make it seem like the Confederates were not just run by the Democrats. He was given the rank of Brigadier General even though he had limited military experience. This lack of experience would lead to his death at Battle of Mill Springs.
Clay County Courthouse (Clay) 1872-73, Town Square Celina
On the National Register and built by local craftsman D.L. Dow shortly after the Reconstruction. Celina was raided periodically throughout the Civil War and damage was done. Celina also served as a logging and steamboat stop on the Cumberland River. Home to the Clay County Museum and Visitor Center. Contains exhibits on it's Civil War history and the steamboat trade.
Dale Hollow Lake (Clay, Pickett) 1943, Tennessee 111, near Byrdstown.
Constructed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers during WWII, Lake impounded waters of the Obey River, creating a huge reservoir that eliminated much good farm land in the river valley and forced hundreds of residents from their homes, forever changing the landscape of the region. The lake has become a major tourism attraction. Recreational and sportsmen opportunities have replaced farming. Near this crossing, is its confluence of Eagle Creek used by both Confederate and Federal troops during the Civil War.
Eagle Creek (Overton) located on Dale Hollow Lake. Natural crossing point of the Obey River. John Hunt Morgan's troops crossed through there, sometimes taking three days to cross.
Fisk Cemetery (Overton) Tennessee 136, Hilham
Moses Fisk played a pivotal role in the region's settlement and education. Fisk established Hilham as the first town in Overton County in 1805. He operated the Fisk Female Academy for Girls, one of the first girls schools in the South. He and his wife are buried side by side in this rural cemetery. The cemetery is known for its collection of headstones and markers influenced by local fork art traditions from the antebellum era through the twentieth century. Fisk's home was moved to the Standing Stone State Park.
Free Hill (Clay) c. 1817, Tennessee 53 at Neeley's Creek
Is an area where African Americans newly freed moved into the hills overlooking Celina and the Cumberland River. After the Civil War, the community grew into the hundreds. The vitality of the community is relected to the historic cemetery and the National Register-listed community center. The Community Center once served as a three-room schoolhouse. Free Hill also has associations with the Underground Railroad as escaped slaves made their way north along the Cumberland River.
Hale's Mill (Pickett) In October of 845, Jonathan D. Hale and John F. Jouett began to erect grist and saw mill on the Wolf River at a place known as Huddleston Place. Hale established a mill and store and served as postmaster at Hale's Mill. Hale was from New Hampshire and was a strong Union man during the Civil War. After John Zachery killed Lafayette Allen, a Confederate soldier, near the mill, Confederate guerrillas burned the mill. Hale then moved his family to Kentucky but returned after the war. The Hale family owned the property until 1900 when they sold the property to J. M. Flowers, the property then became known as the Asberry Farm.
Champ Ferguson "acquired" a piano from Dr. Hale and shipped it over the rough terrain with a team of oxen. The piano traveled to Ferguson's home on the Calfkiller River in White County, upon it's arrival, Ferguson sold it for $200. Hale and his wife testified at the trial of Champ Ferguson in Nashville.
Huddleston, Creed - Home (Pickett) Served as a Captain in the Mexican War. He led a company from Overton County volunteers. He died of Yellow Fever in Mexico City and was brought back by ox cart and train to be buried in the yard of his old home, close to Byrdstown.
During the 1840's was one of the most influential men in present-day Pickett County. Served two terms in the state legislature, owned and operated a store and with the help from slaves, ran an extensive farming operation. Was the father of several Civil War veterans and the Uncle of Stokley Huddleston
Huddleston, Elem - Cabin (Pickett) Stockley Huddleston erved as Sergeant in the Mexican War. When the Civil War started in Tennessee, was immediately given the commission of Colonel in the Tennessee militia in June 1861. Elem, Stokley's cousin, was an ardent Unionist and was trying to move his family to Kentucky to avoid the Tennessee militia. While Elem was away, Stokley padlocked the cabin. Elem returned and got his personal belongings and headed to Adair County Kentucky. Stokley caught up with them admonishing Elem to stop. When Stokley refused to quit chasing them, one of Elem's men hid in ambush and shot and killed Stokley making him one of the first Tennessee Militia men killed in Tennessee during the Civil War.
Hull, Cordell Birthplace State Park (Pickett) Hull was born in Pickett County and was the longest serving Secretary of State under Franklin D. Roosevelt. He is credited with fostering the Good Neighbor Policy with Latin America and with the development of the United Nations. Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1945.
The Birthplace, Museum and State Park is an historic site on 45 acres in Byrdstown. Site consists of Hull's original log-cabin restoration of Hull's birthplace, an activities center and a museum housing documents and artifacts pertaining to Hull's life and career.
Jamestown Town Square (Fentress)
Hwy 52 at old Hwy 127
The county courthouse and other businesses suffered damage during the war years. The present courthouse is a Romanesque-influenced stone building, dates to 1906. Surrounding the courhouse are several impressive stone buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Also on the squre is the historic Fentress County Jail, which is listed in the National Register. There are exhibits about the county's history.
Miller's Mill (Pickett) Four Union soldiers killed by Champ Ferguson and his men are said to be buried under what is now the lake close to Miller's Mill. They were in unmarked graves so were not moved by the Corps of Engineers when the lake was flooded.
Monroe Compromise (Overton) In 1862, Union and Confederate factions of the Upper Cumberlands attempted to reach a peaceful compromise in order to prevent riads into the counties of Overton and Fentress in Tennessee and Clinton in Kentucky. Murder, theft and arson were commonplace with so many troops absent. The conference was held in Monroe in Overton County. Those present included: "Tinker" Dave Beaty, James and Claiborn Beaty, Issac Wood, Elijah Koger, Winburn Goodpasture, Landon Armstrong, William Winton, Jesse Robert and Champ Ferguson.
The parties agreed not to raid into the adjoining counties. However, the Monroe Compromise was dead before it began. Within hours, Ferguson and his men would kill four Overton Co men on the way back to Clinton County as well as Confederate J. W. McHenry would raid into Clinton County as a result of a lack of communication by the peace officals. Ferguson would later be charged with the murder of attempted murder of many of those who attended the conference. At least one of them would testify against him with war crimes in 1865.
Overton County Courthouse (Overton) Livingston Town Square
Established in 1806 was a large prosperous farming community at the time of the Civil War, with 248 residents owning some 1100 slaves. In 1865, Confederates commanded by Colonel John Francis burned the original courthouse. Residents soon rebuilt a small stone building in 1868, doubling in size. Later renovations came in 1933-34. The New Deal transformed the look of the town square, adding a new Colonel Revival-styled post office featuring a mural titled "The Newcomers." Reflects the frontier days of settlement in the county.
Overton County Heritage Museum (Overton) 318 W. Broad Street, Livingston
Civil War display, eduation section, display on the old Alpine School, African-American Community display and a gift shop. Housed in the renovated former jail. The first U.S. soldier to lose his life in the Vietnam War was James T. Davis, a native of Livingston and his story is told here.
Pickett County Courthouse (Pickett) 1935. Town Square Byrdstown
Listed on the National Register, this Colonial Revival-styled courthouse was built with native Crab Orchard Stone and was designed by a Nashville firm. Reflected the region's values and landscape. Established in 1879, Pickett County was one of the state's last Reconstruction-era counties.
The courthouse dominated Byrdstown's historic, quaint town square. The town was named after Robert Byrd who served with the 1st Tennessee, USA, during the Civil War. The Town Hall contains an exhibit on "The Borderlands," which explains the real Civil War between Confederates and Federals along the Tennessee-Kentucky state line. This courthouse burned down in 1935 and was replaced with the current courthouse. Click here to view.
Pickett State Park & Forect (Pickett)
Located in the upper Cumberland Mountains. 17,372 acres of scenic, botanical and geological wonders found nowhere else in Tennessee. Uncommon rock formations, natural bridges, numerous caves and the remains of ancient Indian occuption can be found here. Picket is considered second to the Great Smoky Mountains in botanical diversity. Adjacent to the massive Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area.
Rugby (Morgan) This restored Victorian village was founded in 1880 by British author and social reformer Thomas Hughes. It was to be a cooperative, class-free agricultural community for younger sons of British genry and others wishing to start life anew in America. At it's peak about 350 people lived in the colony.
More than 20 buildings of Victorian design grace the townscape serving as a living community and a historic site, unspoiled by modern development. Key landmarks include the Rugby Free LIbrary, Christ Church Episcopal, the restored school building and various private homes and shops which are now included in a National Register historic district. Located near the edge of the Big South Fork National Recreation Area surrounded by rugged river gorges.
Silver Bullet (Pickett) In September of 1862, Union sympathizers waited in the woods near Byrdstown, above Hale's Mill, to ambush Champ Ferguson. John Zachery, a Union marksman, shot at Ferguson with what should have been a "sure shot", but at the last moment Ferguson's horse shied and the bullet meant to kill Ferguson ricochetted off his saddle and killed one of Ferguson's men, Fate Allen. This story propelled the legend of Champ Ferguson's legendary physical prowess giving him mystical proportions. The claim was that it would take a "silver bullet" to bring down Champ Ferguson.
Standing Stone State Park (Overton)
Tennessee 52 at Tennessee 136, Hilham Vicinity
New Deal agencies developed the Park in the 1930s as both a recreational and land reclamation project. Replacing the original pioneers of this demanding landscape was a collection of stone and log buildings that are listed with the National Register of Historic Places. Also known for the National Rolley Hole Marble Competition.
Travisville Skirmish Site (Pickett) Site of the first military action to take place in Tennessee during the Civil War - September 29, 1861. Began the use of guerrilla warefare on both sides, after most men left to join leaving the women and elderly behind to guard their homes.
Most believed that the Civil War would never effect them as they were so far away from railways or major roads. In response to a Confederate attack a few days prior, Union troops from Kentucky entered Tennessee and dispersed a Rebel camp at Travisville (Pickett County). Information was received that Confederate forces were forming another encampment about 13 miles away near Albany. The 1st Kentucky Calvary and members of the Houstonville home guard came upon an encampment of about 100 Confederate troops. Taking the Confederate troops by surprise, the troops fled and fled into the hills. 4 Confederates were killed. Four prisoners were captured and taken back to Kentucky. The Travisville Skirmish is acknowledged as the offical beginning of the struggle for control in Tennessee.
A marker is located on Caney Creek Road which becomes KY Hwy 200 about 1.5 miles off Hwy 127, ten miles from Byrdstown.
One of Tennessee's most noted marksmen, Sgt. Alvin C. York emerged from WWI as the United States most heralded war hero. This continues today almost 100 years later. Located in Fentress County, lies the Valley of the Three Forks of the Wolf River near Jamestown. York's fame came from the legendary firefight between American and German troops in the Argonne Forest of France. Pinned down behind enemy lines, York risked his own life to silence a German machine-gun nest. York showed an almost unbelievable marksmanship ability and captured 132 German soldiers.
A grist mill built back in the 1880's still stands on the Wolf River where it was built by York's grandfather. Both grandfathers served in the Union Army.
For More Information:
Byrdstown-Pickett County Chamber of Commerce (888) 406-4704 www.dalehollow.com